Stolpman Vineyards

Stolpman Vineyards was founded twenty years ago by Thomas Stolpman in a site hidden in the hills of California’s Central Coast which has since become Ballard Canyon AVA. Now in the hands of son Peter, the future of the property looks to be very bright. The area is perfectly suited to Syrah and Roussanne and the qualities of these varieties are brought out through careful, natural, dry farming. Santa Barbara County is lucky in its avoidance of autumnal storms and the grapes can therefore be left on the vines into November to ensure enough time for this notoriously late ripening varietal. The low humidity of Santa Barbara also means that rot and mildew are never a problem during this time. The Estate Roussanne is made up of 91% Roussanne and 9% Chardonnay. It is aged in 500 litre new French puncheons which leads to toasted notes but without an excessive oak influence. Despite the late ripening the wine still comes in at 13.5%. The Estate Syrah uses a 50% whole cluster fermentation and it is aged for ten months in 500 litre puncheons, of which just 10% is..... new. It is dark crimson in colour and has a characteristic freshness. In 2013 one block of uber trendy Trousseau was grafted. 75% of this is whole cluster fermented in concrete whilst the remaining 25% is fermented in stainless steel. It has a vibrant pale, cherry red colour and the mouth has a soft, silky texture and an abundance of red fruit.
`Few people are as passionate about Ballard Canyon as Peter Stolpman is. To be sure, Ballard Canyon is a very distinctive region, especially for Syrah. As for his own wines, Stolpman’s A-list team of winemaker Sashi Moorman and vineyard guru Ruben Solorzano keeps ratcheting up the quality level at the estate. Simply put, these wines have never been better.` Antonio Galloni, Vinous, June 2014

Winemaker: Sashi Moorman

Parcels:
Dry Farming
La Cuadrilla
Ballard
Canyon

Website: www.stolpmanvineyards.com

Wines

Displaying 1-11 of 11 results.
  • Wine

    This very unique Trousseau grows on limestone soil, the perfect environment to make a pure and mineral red wine. Combe 2016 is light-bodied showing subtle hints of dried herbs, bright red cherries, cranberries and rubharb. The underlying stony minerality and very delicate tannins makes it the perfect match for cheese or a light lunch, served straight out of the eurocave for fresher temperature.

  • Wine

    2016 - Tangerine orange blossom, honey and a continuum of lemon sing all the way through the palate. The toasty oak framework lies underneath the fruit profile, lifting and supporting it. The creamy, zesty texture goes on forever, well beyond a typical white wine finish. Secondary notes of Jasmine, tropical guava, green apple, pear, apricot, and Marzipan all emerge in this vivacious, high toned, silky beauty. - Peter Stolpman

  • Wine

    Awaiting Tasting Note

  • Wine

    Awaiting Tasting Note

  • Wine

    Stolpman`s largest cuvée, amounting to some 4,400 cases, is the keenly priced 2016 Syrah Estate, which reveals a classic nose of blackberry, violets, rose petal, cracked pepper and grilled meat. On the palate, the wine is medium to full-bodied, expansive and juicy with an ample core of sweet fruit and good length and persistence. Some chalky tannins assert themselves on the finish, but it`s already drinking well. William Kelley 92

  • Awaiting Tasting Note

  • Wine

    Awaiting Tasting Note

  • Awaiting Tasting Note

  • Wine

    Awaiting Tasting Note

  • Wine

    Awaiting Tasting Note

  • Wine

    Planted in 2013, these young vines of Trousseau are producing the ONLY Pet Nat of Trousseau in the world. Fizzy thanks to its natural sugar and through secondary fermentation happening in the bottle, the wine has a great pop of creamy bubbles that you would not find in the usual French Pet Nat. It is clean, bright and fresh with tropical fruit aromas on the nose, crisp pears and apples on the palate and developing more weight with time. A refreshing introduction to Pet Nat’ from the New World.